A shopping addiction is a very real problem, one that can destroy families, create a mountain of debt, and even end up with jail time and a criminal record at times. How can you tell whether you just enjoy shopping or if you are actually a shopping addict though? For some individuals shopping can be just as pleasurable and as addictive as alcohol or drugs. These individuals use shopping in order to dull emotional pain or fill an internal void, and usually the items purchased are not necessary. If you answer yes to more than one of the following questions then you may have a shopping addiction and need treatment. Your choice of treatment programs is important. Valiant Recovery provides shopping addiction treatment that is highly effective, but some programs may not be as successful.
- Do you spend more than you can afford?
- Do you shop when you are sad, angry, or depressed in order to feel better?
- Do you buy multiple items of the same type in a single trip?
- Do you feel anxious or guilty once the shopping is finished?
- Do you hide purchases from a spouse or family members?
- Has compulsive shopping left you deeply in debt?
- Does shopping cause problems in relationships?
- Do you frequently spend more than your budget will allow?
- Do you put off important bills in order to shop or pay for purchases?
- Does your shopping cause negative consequences that you ignore?
- Does shopping cause you to feel good regardless of what you are buying?
All of these are signs that a shopping addiction is likely, and treatment should be sought as soon as possible to help you overcome this addiction.